Friday, July 23, 2010

Modern Comics Review: Amazing Spider-Man #638


I wish Joe Quesada would stop writing (and illustrating) comic books. I respect that he was able to help bring back Marvel a decade ago and I’m grateful for it, but I wish he’d stop forcing his ideas into comics. I know it’s practically cliché to say this these days, but I hated One More Day. Even if you excuse the whole “deal with the devil” thing, it was just a mess of a story with some terrible characterization and ugly art. I know J. Michael Sraczynski technically wrote that, but it wasn’t his idea so I still heap most (though not all) of that blame on Joe Q. That being said, I have really enjoyed many of the issues of Amazing Spider-Man that have come as a result of this, but this issue, the first of the “One Moment In Time” arc almost undid all of that and just angered me.

“O.M.I.T.” has been announced as promising to explain what happened to stop Peter and Mary Jane’s wedding after the deal with Mephisto as well as to finally explain what MJ whispered into Mephisto’s ear at the conclusion of that story. First, let me say that the reveal of what was whispered is nowhere near as exciting as anyone will hope it would be. It’s extremely anticlimactic, though it does, however minutely, help take some heat off of Peter for making the deal at all. As for how the wedding is stopped, that’s explained too, but the story is absurdly dull and uninteresting.
(Spoiler alert!!!!!!!!!)


Having some chubby thug of Electro’s fall on Spider-Man and knock him out and make him miss his wedding is possibly the stupidest reason Quesada could have come up with. I honestly would have accepted nearly anything else other than this. It doesn’t help that huge amounts of unnecessary story were devoted to setting this up when no setup was really needed at all.

Surprisingly, these are actually the least of my gripes with the issue. What bothered me most was the inclusion of (many) pages from Amazing Spider-Man Annual #21, i.e. the marriage issue from 1987, to frame the flashback in. This idea in-and-of-itself isn’t bad, but Quesada picks and chooses specific pages that show Peter doubting whether or not he should marry MJ. Reading just the included pages would make one think Spidey barely cared for MJ, had no interest in marrying, and only wished he could have Gwen Stacy back. It doesn’t help that Quesada and artist Paolo Rivera add in extra parts to these pages to make Peter seem even more in doubt and it becomes obvious that Quesada picked these pages mainly to further his agenda of making others believe his stance on the anti-marriage. It all felt very childish to me in this sense, almost more like a fan fiction, and that is not a good thing.

The art also deserves quite a bit of criticism here. I have never, ever been a fan of Joe Quesada’s art. It’s unbelievably inconsistent and can makes it nearly impossible to recognize characters sometimes. Here, that’s not an issue, but he’s only drawing Peter and MJ, so it’s not all that surprising. His characters can change wildly in proportion as well and he has some serious problems daring Peter’s head. I thought his sequence’s were just painful to look at. Paolo Rivera fares quite a bit better, but is stuck trying his best to imitate the art from the 1980’s as he is only used in the extra scenes from the flashbacks. I admit, he does an admirable job, but it is still starkly obvious when he takes over and it’s a jarring shift at times. It made me wish that they would have just brought in Marcos Martin from the backup story instead.

It’s a bad sign when your two-page backup story is the best thing in your double-sized issue, but it really was about the only thing I enjoyed in this issue. I’m honestly hesitant about picking up the next issue, but I will in hopes there is something better about it. Not only did I not enjoy this issue, it butchered a very good issue from 23 years ago. I’m already excited for O.M.I.T. to end and hope it will be promptly “O.M.I.T.”-ed from Spider-Man continuity afterward. And yes, pun intended. A bad joke for a bad issue.

Overall: 2.0/10 (Mainly for the beautiful cover and Stan Lee and Marcos Martin’s backup, if you care)

No comments:

Post a Comment